If you’re like most homeowners, you probably dream of one day hiring a Cape Cod architect and get the chance to complete a major home-remodeling project. I’m talking about that once in a lifetime kind of renovation design that dramatically changes how you live, energizes the entire household, and makes all the neighbors jealous.
We spoke with one of the best Cape Cod architect in town, at INTEGRATA architecture + construction, to get the inside scoop on what architects do, where they find inspiration and what you should know before you hire one for your project. An architect has the training and skill to produce a detailed design that’s sensitive to the architecture of your existing home, and based on your particular needs and desires.
What truly makes an architect valuable is the ability to develop and refine a vision of the completed project that you can see and understand. Architects are experts at seeing not only the big picture, but also the hundreds of tiny steps between concept and completion. Before you settle on a candidate, carefully consider the firm’s past designs and gauge whether its vision for your house meshes with your own.
What Do Architects Do?
Architects plan and design buildings and coordinate construction. Mostly all U.S. states require licensed architects to have specialized education and experience, and to also pass a very rigorous exam.
What We Want You To Know
1. Be An Active Participant In The Design Process. While it’s true that the actual work of design is the architect’s responsibility, but it’s really your responsibility to be upfront about your budget and expectations and give candid feedback. The ideal client is honest, open, flexible, realistic and decisive. Being open to your architect’s ideas and making decisions in a timely fashion will help your project run much more smoothly.
2. We Can Oversee Any project From Start To Finish. Whether it’s a large-scale renovation or building your dream home from scratch, if you have a major home project to tackle, you may be wondering where to begin. The first call to make should be to an architect. These pros have the skills and training needed to keep your project running smoothly, while coordinating your entire design and construction team.
3. We Can Translate Your Needs Into A Functional And Beautiful Structure. You should turn to an architect when you want ensure your project has beauty, utility, and economy. Architects work with challenging sites, listen to your needs, and fully express them in a unique design perfectly tailored to you. Choosing to go with an experienced architect from the beginning, can help you avoid a lot of heartache and money.
4. We Are With You On Your Journey. I would say choosing an architect is a bit like choosing someone to go for a long hike with you, says INTEGRATA architecture + construction. There needs to be plenty of trust, empathy, common vision, good communication and mutual respect. The right Cape Cod architect will provide you with thoughtful evaluation and design, while also meeting and mostly always exceeding your every expectation.
INTEGRATA architecture + construction provide client-specific architectural designs that integrate multiple building systems to maximize efficiency, functionality and aesthetics. Unlike other architecture firms, we also provide construction management services, which enable us to ensure proper execution of our design plans during the building process.
Your home is probably the biggest purchase and asset you’ll own in your life. Like most homeowners, we want to transform our living space into the ideal dream home. When it comes to planning major alterations, extensions or even building a brand new home, you need to get the very best team together to plan, design and build your project in the most efficient way. Recruiting a great architect, like should be your first point of call.
Many of us get inspired to transform our properties by watching architectural reality television shows. Amidst the excitement of the prospect of starting a new venture, you may think that a building project can easily be taken on. Right? Actually, it’s wrong. The reality of fulfilling the role of client, designer and project manager all by yourself is not as simple as you may think, and will leave you battling your own inexperience to overcome a mammoth set of challenges.
Why take unnecessary risks with your largest asset, your home? When embarking on any building project, it is important to be a realistic, as even the smallest mistake could equate to big costs. Remember, you’re not a superhero. Be pragmatic, set yourself achievable goals and use the professional knowledge and experience of an architect, like INTEGRATA architecture + construction. They will help to realize your project aspirations safely, guiding your through the design and construction process, on time and within budget.
What Does An Architect Do?
Many people really do not understand the full benefits they’ll receive for working with an architect, sure they design, but what else? There’s much more to it than doing a few drawings. Architectural services extend well beyond the paperwork, and can provide you with all of the architectural services that you require, for any stage of your construction project. A great architect brings value for your money to the development, imagination, project management, and design flair to any home project.
1. Advise and help you to develop your brief (your wish list) by understanding you & your family. This will help them to make your vision a reality, considering the site, your taste, lifestyle and your budget.
2. Incorporate innovative and imaginative design solutions that work for your project, reducing costs, & generating ideas to add value to your property.
3. Prepare drawings and documents to submit for planning approval to achieve permission upon the first submission saving time, stress and money.
4. Submit drawings for Planning Approval on your behalf and liaise with the planning authority to provide additional information if required.
5. Once planning approval is achieved they will prepare technical drawings for Building Control Approval.
6. Advise on quality consultants and contractors.
7. Assemble the project team, finding the best consultants / contractors to do the job with the available budget and timescales.
8. Co-ordinate and lead your project team through the design and construction process safely in accordance with up to date legislation until completion.
9. Manage time, the process, people, problems that may arise and most importantly, your budget!
10. Bring added value to your scheme to maximize your investment.
Architects Add Value
Without the expert knowledge, experience and protection of using a Cape Cod Architect, your home project is an extremely high risk venture. Working with an architect will get you a special home that is tailored to your needs and maximizes the value with your available budget. Using their experience and professional accreditation strongly manages your risks and avoids potential problems. At project completion, you will enjoy the experience of your new home, unstressed, and without many of the battle scars.
If you’re like most homeowners, you probably dream of one day hiring a Cape Cod architect and get the chance to complete a major home-remodeling project. I’m talking about that once in a lifetime kind of renovation design that dramatically changes how you live, energizes the entire household, and makes all the neighbors jealous. Whether you’ve always wanted to expand the kitchen, or maybe install French doors leading to a big wraparound deck, regardless of what your dream entails, all major remodeling projects can benefit from the expert design help of an experienced, licensed architect.
I know what you’re probably thinking, architects are way too expensive and not necessary during today’s economic roller coaster. The truth is, architects are well worth the extra cost on small and large remodeling jobs. The right architect will provide thoughtful evaluation and design, while meeting and often exceeding your expectations. Sometimes depending on the size or complexity of the remodeling, calling in an architect might be the only way to get the project off the ground. INTEGRATA architecture + construction explains why you should consider taking the plunge if you’re finally ready to make your dream home vision a reality.
See The Big Picture
An architect has the training and skill to produce a detailed design that’s sensitive to the architecture of your existing home, and that’s based on your particular needs and desires. What truly makes an architect valuable is the ability to develop and refine a vision of the completed project that you can see and understand. Architects are experts at seeing not only the big picture, but also the hundreds of tiny steps between concept and completion. Before you settle on a candidate, carefully consider the firm’s past designs and gauge whether its vision for your house meshes with your own.
Handle The Paperwork
Behind the pretty face of a home are the skeletal bones of the building, and it’s the architect’s job to design the project to satisfy building codes and specific structural demands. Striking that balance between aesthetic beauty and structural safety is not easy, and requires a vast knowledge of various building materials and construction techniques. A good architect knows the building code, and alternative ways to solving structural problems, while also preparing the documentation necessary to acquire all the various building permits. Hiring a pro makes sure your renovation plays by the rules, which can ultimately save you time and money.
Oversee The Job
Once the initial design phase is finally completed, you now get to decide how involved the architect is in the actual day-to-day construction of the project. You can hire a Cape Cod architect just to only design the project and create all the necessary drawings, while then having no further involvement. However, you also have the option to have the architect to fully manage the project by hiring subcontractors, establishing the work schedule and confirming that all work is done properly and according to the final plan. This helps ensure proper execution of your design plans during the building process.
Building a custom home is incredibly rewarding, and the beginning phase of building your dream custom home is the most funniest part of the whole project. Well, at least for me it was!
Building a custom home is incredibly rewarding, and the beginning phase of building your dream custom home is the most funniest part of the whole project. Well, at least for me it was! From planning all the cool features, to deciding on flooring and counter tops, this is a great time to really get your creative juices flowing. Though, putting it all together with your contractor may be a bit stressful, it will be incredibly rewarding in the end with the help of the right Cape Cod architect. Let’s not forget, the fun part!
You’ve finally signed the contract with a trusted premier Cape Cod architecture firm, and you’re ready to start building your new custom home that’s been tailor-made to you. So, now what? A great way to enhance the experience of building your custom home, and make it even more fun, is to share the experience with your loved ones, like family and friends. If you’re like me and always looking for cool new ways to spice things up, check out these 3 great ideas, from INTEGRATA architecture + construction for your next custom home building project!
Step One: Create a Blog
Building your dream home is exciting, and you want to share the experience of building with family and friends. Let’s face it, what’s the fun in building your dream home if you can’t brag just a little. What better way to get started then with a blog! Your blog can include written updates, progress photos, and even fun little videos. Not only will you make the entire process more fun, but you’ll also make your family and friends feel like they’re experiencing all the excitement, right along with you, every step of the way.
Step Two: Ask a Friend
Can’t decide between the nice, clean look of bamboo, or the cool rich hardwood? Not exactly sure which tile to choose for your master bathroom or kitchen backsplash? Have a slumber party, open a few bottles of wine, and make it a fun night night for all! Need help making a quick decision? Post photos of both options on Facebook or Instagram, and ask which one they like best. However you ask your family and friends, don’t forget to make it a fun way to enroll the help in your custom home design process.
Step Three: Celebrate
There’s nothing like the feeling of watching the walls go up on the home you personally designed yourself. It’s the moment that makes your heart pound as you realize your “dream” home is becoming a reality. Celebrate every milestone with family and friends by posting regular updates about your home’s progress. Create your very own hashtag like #integratadreamhome so everyone can see and keep track of how your home has progressed from week to week.
Once your is home is finally complete, there’s nothing left to do than to throw an amazing housewarming party! Celebrate with the people you love, and the ones who happily joined in your custom home building journey, your family and friends.